Academic Research: 25 Tools and Resources to Help You Write a Good Paper
Bakers make bread. Fiction writers create characters. Bloggers generate content. And students…
Students do science.
They use writing as a key language skill in college: they write academic papers of all types, developing literacy, critical and analytical thinking, understanding of different subject areas, and getting ready to become a significant part of modern society where writing is called “a threshold skill” for hiring and promoting employees (according to the report of National Commission).
To write good papers, one should do academic research.
Academic research is the integral part of education process, and it is a common struggle among students. They want to make it effective and productive, and they use dozens of tools to deal with it.
The problem appears when students start looking for good tools and resources, figuring out what the best of them are: different versions, programs, applications, software, platforms, prices – they are can drive you crazy and take much time from you.
It would be great if someone did this job for you, wouldn’t it? Too many digital tools and resources for researchers, too little time to figure out the ones for particular researching needs.
Let’s fix it and take a look at the best ones.
Using web2.0 for academic research
Academic research is time consuming and mentally demanding, so one should concentrate on process rather than software to use for it. Tools enable us to do science, not do it in our stead.
With this in mind, follow three rules when choosing tools and resources to help you deal with research:
- They should be simple.
- They should sync your data.
- They should be used by your fellow students or professors, too: it makes the process of sharing data easier.
All tools and resources for academic research can be conditionally divided into several types, depending on functionality: ones that help you find and gather data, tools that help you analyze data, and ones for data presenting.
- LibX – a toolbar to help you search databases. It provides links to important resources.
- Dropbox – a resource to store, sync and share your files. It lets you bring all important information to one place.
- Quip – an app to combine all your documents and important data, and share them with others.
- Figshare – a suite to store, share and discover; lets you manage your research and decide who can see and edit it.
- ContentMine – a resource that liberates millions of facts from scientific literature.
You might be also interested in using Twitter for academic research; as well as using Google for academic research, it’s worth exploring: scholarly literature, experts opinions, academic publications, digital networking – this is a short list of features social media can offer to help you with research. Moreover, they can be use to promote your research, too.
Having gathered the data, one needs to analyze and manage it. The following tools can be used for that:
- Zotero – a tool to analyze and organize all citations you’ve chosen for your research.
- Benchling – a platform to manage scientific data and collaborate with other researchers to analyze it.
- Statcrunch – a soft to load and analyze data.
- Tableau – a soft to present and analyze data. It helps you share insights, too.
- Wolfram Alpha – a web-based tool for different scientific calculations.
Data presenting (visualization):
- Colwiz – a soft to sort, cite and present your research.
- Mendeley – a platform that combines reference manager, social network, and tools to visualize your research.
- Utopia Docs – a PDF reader to connect scientific articles to online content.
- Calibre – a tool to convert documents to different formats.
- EndNote – a tool to publish and manage references, bibliographies, and citations.
Still doubt which tools and resources could be a good fit for your academic research? This outstanding list of online tools for researches will help you take a final choice.
Outsource: where to find researchers and editors
No time or skills for academic research? The best option here would be research papers for sale: today, more and more students and young scientists see no preconceptions about outsourcing their research papers and hiring academic writers to compose or edit writings for them.
The market is ready, so many researchers and editors (both freelancing and in-house ones) are available to write research papers for sale. If you decided to charge them with such an important mission, check online inhabitations to outsource them:
- Guru Academic Researchers – 500+ writers and services are available for your needs here; read offers carefully, contact writers directly, give them instructions, and find out if they can be a good fit to complete your academic research.
- Morning Coffee Writers – subscribe to their newsletter and receive the information about both writing jobs available and writers looking for a job. Choose a writer that could do your research and send him a direct mail to learn all the details.
- Upwork Writers – this is the largest freelancing network where you can find and hire researchers and editors. Easy to use and navigate, Upwork won’t take much time from you but provide lists of the best experts in academic writing field.
- Papers for Sale – professional academic researchers and writers meet here to help students reach their academic goals. Contact a writer directly, learn feedback from customers to understand if you choose a right professional, place an order, and get your research paper written from scratch.
- Writer Access – online platform where U.S.-based professional writers meet. If you need great content of all types, you are welcome to contact them for further information and details.
- LinkedIn Writers – if you have an account there, you are welcome to visit LinkedIn job board to find writing professionals and contact them to hire. Don’t underestimate this social network, as it gathers thousands of experts from all over the world.
- Scripted Writers – a writing service that holds itself out as a delivery truck of unique content from expert writers. Just don’t forget mentioning a type of content you need, all specifications and deadline, and check if they are able to deal with it.
- Freelancer Academic Writing – find and hire professionals for writing or editing your academic papers. It’s up to you to choose native speakers or ESL pros; just check profiles and feedback carefully to avoid scams and bad-quality works.
- Google+ Writers – search this social network by keywords to find professionals in academic writing: many academic writing services, as well as self-employed writers, have their profiles at Google+; so, you can contact and hire them for writing your research papers.
- Freelance Writing Gigs – these guys will tell you about all writing jobs available online; plus, their network of users is quite big, so you can check if there are academic writers looking for a job and ready to compose your research papers for sale.
Outsourcing researchers and editors is worth trying if you experience a lack of time, knowledge or skills for academic writing. There are many variants to find professionals online: custom writing services, writing communities, social networks, freelance websites, edu sites, educational blogs managed by professional academic writers, etc.
Seek and ye shall find. This is subject to both tools&resources for academic research and outsourced writers who could do this research for you.